Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ukraine in the Membrane

Travel Day 1 and 2

Friday I embarked on a trip with a group called Uncommon Rhythm. (Like their page) Leaving Phoenix, for Washington D.C. then Zurich Switzerland and finally landing in Kiev Ukraine.

First, Zurich has one of the most beautiful airports in the world. You can see the mountains from the thousands of windows that line the airport as you walk through. The train underneath, amazing. Even shot a scene for my spy movie I'm shooting while in Europe called "The Assignment." My first role where I write, direct and act. (Won't be a thing I continue).

Landing in Kiev, I was selected for a nice post screening. The cop came from like 4 doors down, gesturing and then asked me in the most broken English "You screen. How much money you have? Do you have any weapons."

Dude, I've been through security like 6 times, I just want to leave the airport since every one else in my group has left. But nope. He eyed my bags, put them through the x-ray machine twice and kept going.

I got to meet some cool people. I already knew Jonathan, and Brian (Shot the tent) but meeting Ben White, Stina Dallons Isaksen, and Lainey Silver. The ride from the airport was fun. I mean meeting new people and traveling in a country none of us had been to. Not much snow on the ground here, so I am glad I didn't pack a lot of clothes.


We checked into our Apartment. Apparently we are staying in what resembles a Cold War bunker.

We went out on the streets and there were a lot of street vendors. Everywhere. 


Selling a variety of things. From chicken to fish, cheese, coffee, antiques. Sadly this place is very third worldish. Poverty seems to run very high here. Which is terrible for a country as cold as this. 

The women though, they are beautiful. 

From there we met up with Dasha, our guide and went to:

Where we were served a ton of vodka. Needless to say, we were smashed. 

I did see another black guy!!

We had the native dish, salo. It's basically just fat. But it was really good. 


I had the borsch and chicken Kiev. Both were new to me, in this variation and they were amazing. 

I thought it was a baked potato at first. But when I cut Into it. It was just delicious. 

We were treated to live music as we continued our vodka fueled night. Buy it was just getting started. 

Dancers gotta dance and the 4
Dancers did just that. Went out and danced. First time I had a chance to witness them dance in person. I'm amazed really. Especially since I suck at dancing. But they rocked it. 

Finally we made it home. A day of travel. Food. Fun. Dancing. And planning for the next couple of days. 

One other thing, it's weird but besides one other black person it's really been me and lots of stares. I'm used to it. I like the weirdness. The people here are really nice and sweet. 

I wouldn't trade this experience for anything else right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment