Friday, May 17, 2013

Cannes, yes. Day 1.

 So the day started out crappy. Stupid trains. Hotel so far that I probably won't spend much, if any time there. I am kinda pissed about it. They told me it was near
The train/beach. It's 10 miles north. BLAH. 

So I got into Nice and one of my longtime friends met me here:




She was in Italy and came up. Worked out because she had a friend from London here and they met up. 

Finally got to Cannes via the train. Let me explain how breathtaking it was.  Like a million little breathtaking moments jammed into one big moment. Yeah. I need new lungs. 

Red carpet:

Amazing. All the stars and premieres here. I am not even trying to get into premiers.  

So for any filmmaker, first thing, go get your accreditation.  You enter the Palais, and go down to the check-in counter. You get a swanky badge like this

Both my sister and I! And we got a "swag bag" 

Full of books and blah blah. Now the next
Thing, we went to the American Pavilion. Lots of Americans here (cost a fee) and I already lost my badge. Haha. I have to get a new one tomorrow. Great networking. Met Malcolm Baity here, I wrote a letter to get him an internship here. Wonderful kid



Saw Tobey MacGuire come out of a hotel, passed right by him. 

The big discussion here: lack of black Filmmakers. (Which bodes well for me actually) but the biggest problem is, less than 1 percent of the Filmmakers here are black. But that's because not a lot choose to direct. Again, bodes well for me. 

So from there, I went to a Film Score symposium. Amazing. What they did is, they brought in a live orchestra, put a scene from several movie:

Girl with the pearl earring
Harry potter and the deathly hallows
Twilight (blah) 
Etc

And what they did is, the original composer played the score first to the actual scene as it played, and then other composers played their rendition of the score. I was amazed. Like blown away. I want my film scored like that someday. 

From there, I walked with Sandy and her sister Kathy (my sis too) an we walked the palais and also the beach. Gorgeous. 



And there were for the festival, like places for us to be (this is where each country has a tent you can go into and network with your fellow countryfolk):

Finally I saw this, and loved it


A two story carousel. Fantastic. 

So the train ride back to Nice, met 4 amazing Australians:

Made the train ride funnier and amazing. They invited us to Monte Carlo and its so far we can't go. :( Damnit! 

Now I just got lost again on the way back to the hotel so I'm writing this blog. Haha. Also I'm going to French drunk tonight. And I have early meetup for breakfast before the meetings start. I have to get a new badge. Tomorrow I have a pitch meeting and then I'm going to different production companies and pitching movies. (Prayers that they buy one, or all). 

Note: I had nothing to do with the jewel heist here. Maybe. Interpol! 

So that's Cannes day 1. Tomorrow is more intense. And oh yeah, I dressed up. 



Tomorrow: Cannes day 2. 



3 comments:

  1. Livin' the dream!!! Go get 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus your the man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcus, a friend of mine teaches film scoring in L.A.. I'll put a note on your facebook page so you can get to know her. She's wonderful. I've helped premiere one of her pieces, and absolutely loved it. -Lauren Ruff

    ReplyDelete